SEO has traditionally divided into two main areas; on-page optimisation which covers what can be done on the pages of the website itself, and off-page optimisation which covers activity that takes place elsewhere (e.g. link-building).
The most effective strategy in 2012 however (social media powered SEO) requires an integrated approach, with on-page content promoted off-page within the main social media channels. Please click on the following link to find out more about social media SEO - the future proofed SEO strategy that delivers outstanding results now.
Alternatively, click here to understand more about how off-page SEO has had to adapt to changes in the search engines’ algorithms to remain effective in 2012.
Finally, if you are more interested in on-page SEO, we should probably warn you that, although it’s still very important to optimise on-page factors, it’s extremely unlikely to work on its own unless your market is particularly niche. Please read on for:
- A checklist outlining the key areas to consider when reviewing on-page SEO.
- A list of common mistakes to look out for with regard to on-page SEO.
- A list of old-school SEO (‘spammy’) on-page tactics that the search engines are now able to recognise (and punish accordingly).
On-Page SEO Checklist:
- Always start with keyword selection, research and testing
- Meta Description tag
- ALT tags
- H1 tags
- URL structure
- Internal linking strategy
- Keyword density
- Site maps, both XML and user facing
- Usability and accessibility
- Track target keywords
- Expect results in 6-12 months
Avoid common on-page SEO mistakes such as:
- Duplicate content
- URL variants of the same pages
- Off-site images and content on-site
- Duplicate title tags
Avoid spammy SEO tactics such as:
- Hidden text
- Hidden links
- Keyword repetition
- Doorway pages
- Mirror pages
Defined: Off-page optimisation (off-page SEO) is what can be done off the pages of a website to maximise its performance in the search engines for target keywords related to the on-page content and keywords in off-page direct-links.
Off-Page SEO Checklist:
- Always start with keyword research, testing and selection
- Use Keywords in link anchor text
- Obtain links from high ranking publisher sites
- One-way inbound links (not link exchange or reciprocal links)
- Different keywords in your link-ads from the same site
- Gradual link building technology (no growth spikes)
- Use relevant keywords near your inbound link (contextual relevance)
- Deep linking (from multiple pages to multiple pages)
- Target a large list of keywords (5-500+)
- Link from sites with a variety of LinkRanks
- Track all active keywords and refine strategy as required
- Discontinue campaigns if ranking does not improve
- Expect results in 1-2 months (Bing) 1-9 months (Google, Yahoo)
Avoid common off-page SEO mistakes:
- Duplicate keywords in link avderts
- Site-wide links causing link growth spikes
- Using on-page SEOs to do the work of specialist off-page SEO's
- Placing random links without keywords near your link adverts
Do not use off-page SEO spamming tactics such as:
- Link farms (sites with 100+ outbound links per page)
- Using irrelevant keywords in your link-ads
- Garbage links
- Link churning
- Hidden inbound links